Moving into a senior living community can be an emotional subject. This is especially true when you are considering making the move yourself or helping a parent or loved one shop around for their new home.
There are so many options these days, it becomes challenging figuring out where to start, and what really matters most – location, daily activities, suite size and the thing most folks care most about, pricing and value. It’s best to stay informed in order to make the decision that best meets you or your family’s needs.
Research these days typically starts online. Be sure to get answers for these questions and make an informed decision.
- Will they customize a care or service plan for you?
- Are they willing to adjust this plan over time to accommodate each member as they age?
- Does the facility provide services to address residents’ physical, emotional, and spiritual needs?
- Are they engaging loved ones, updating them when residents experience changes, physical or otherwise?
- If they can’t provide a specific service, what can they do to provide it (affiliate partners, outsourcing, etc.)?
- How is the food, and what dining options are available?
- What activities are offered, both within and outside of the community?
- When you do your walk through, talk to residents – are they happy, and do they seem to be well cared for?
- Is the staff engaged in conversations or participating in activities?
- What are their visitor restrictions and does the community make it easy for residents to host family and friends?
- Most importantly, is it comfortable? Does it feel like (it could be) “home”?
Everyone involved in the decision making process should communicate everything they have consumed through research and visits, especially the prospective resident themselves. The best way to see if a community feels like home is to visit in person. Remember, you’re not just shopping, you’re choosing a home for your loved one.
If you or a loved one is moving into a senior living space, or even if they opt to stay at home for a few more years, MedGuard Alert can provide them peace of mind with our free medical alert systems. Call us now to learn more about our FREE medical pendant service with plans starting at just $1 a day! CALL TODAY! 1-800-716-1433